The QYO Big Band has 19 positions available for jazz musicians. Conductor Rafael Karlen programs advanced instrumental and vocal big band charts. Planned performances in 2018 include a Concert at Twilight at the Old Museum Concert Hall, the QYO Finale Concert at QPAC, a performance at the Brisbane Jazz Club, other performances in South-east Queensland and a regional tour in July.
• 19 piece jazz band
• Standard & advanced big band repertoire
• Conductor: Rafael Karlen (since 2013)
• Rehearsals: Sundays 6.00pm-8.45pm at the Old Museum Building
• Min. AMEB Grade 6 (guide only)
• Maximum age limit as at 31 December 2018: 23 years
• Alto saxophone (2), tenor saxophone (2), baritone saxophone (1)
• Trumpet (4), trombone (3), bass trombone (1)
• Rhythm guitar (1), electric or double bass (1)
• Piano (1), vocalist (1)
• Drumkit (1), vibraphone (1)a
Conductor Rafael Karlen
Rafael graduated from Griffith University, Queensland Conservatorium of Music in 2004, with a Bachelor in Contemporary Music Performance in Saxophone. He received the Lord Mayor’s Fellowship for Young and Emerging Artists from the Brisbane City Council in 2011 to undertake study in Europe and has recently returned following the completion of his Masters of Music Degree at the University of York in England.
His debut album with the Brisbane-based ensemble the West End Composers Collective, received critical acclaim and featured Rafael as a composer, saxophonist and flautist. In 2009, he was a finalist in the Bell Awards for both Young Australian Jazz Artist of the Year and Best Jazz Composition of the Year categories, received a Q150 Composer Commission, and was the 2009 Composer-in-residence with the West Australia Youth Jazz Orchestra. Rafael also attended the 2009 International Jazz and Creative Music Workshop at the Banff Centre in Canada. In 2008, Rafael was a finalist in the APRA/JMO National Big Band Composition Competition in Sydney. Rafael has toured throughout Australia and regularly works as a composer, performer and arranger in a broad range of musical styles.