Entries close 28 June 2019
The 2019 National Youth Concerto Competition Finals Week is from Saturday 5 to Sunday 13 October. The application form is now available.
The National Youth Concerto Competition (NYCC) is recognised as the most prestigious competition in Australia for string soloists aged up to 17 years. It was established by Queensland Youth Orchestras in 1976 to encourage the development of young Australian string players.
About the Competition
For the first round of the competition, each applicant records and submits audio files of audition works to be judged by a panel of professional musicians. Up to three finalists and four recitalists are then invited to Brisbane to take part in the NYCC Finals Week from 5 to 13 October 2019.
The finalists compete for the first prize with their chosen concerto (preferably performed from memory) in the public NYCC Finals Concert titled ‘String Sensations’. This concert takes place at the Old Museum Concert Hall, Brisbane on Sunday 13 October 2019 where finalists perform their concerto with the Queensland Youth Symphony (QYS) conducted by John Curro AM MBE.
All finalists must perform a minimum of one public recital in addition to their solo concerto performance. The recitals are not an eliminating round and will not be judged, but failure to give a recital will disqualify a finalist from the Finals Concert.
All recitalists must perform a minimum of three public recitals in Brisbane and join the Queensland Youth Symphony as orchestra members for the concerto rehearsals and the Finals Concert. It is compulsory for recitalists to play in the orchestra at the Finals Concert, and to attend all rehearsals and other commitments.
QYO provides an accompanist for all recitals, including one rehearsal with each finalist and recitalist.
In addition to performance opportunities during the NYCC Finals Week, the following prize money is allocated:
Other Finalists: $1,200
Prizes will not be awarded if the judges consider that the finalists are not of the required standard. The judges’ decisions are final.
All finalists and recitalists are required to reside in Brisbane during the entire NYCC Finals Week (5 to 13 October 2019). Queensland Youth Orchestras (QYO) provides one return airfare, and accommodation with a host family (if required) for each finalist and recitalist. QYO reserves the right to choose which airline flights are booked with.
QYO cannot pay for additional airline costs for instruments that airlines consider over size, e.g. cellos and basses. While accommodation and airfares are not provided for family members of finalists or recitalists, QYO can recommend hotels near the rehearsal venue, the Old Museum Building in Bowen Hills. QYO can assist with transport from the Old Museum Building to and from recital venues, but QYO does not provide or pay for transfers to and from airports.
For enquiries, please contact the NYCC Coordinator:
Ph: (07) 3257 3028
Conditions of Entry
1. Applicants must be string players aged 17 years or under on 13 October 2019. Tertiary students are not eligible to enter.
2. Entry is restricted to Australian citizens or musicians who have been resident in Australia for no less than two years prior to the closing date of 28 June 2019.
3. Winners of previous NYCCs may not enter. Applicants to previous NYCCs may not repeat the same works unless they can show that they have exhausted the repertoire for their instrument.
4. Applicants must submit un-edited (within any movement) MP3 files sent via Google Drive link (see online application form for more information). No other audio format will be allowed. Piano accompaniment is required with the concerto. No other form of accompaniment is permitted. Audition works must include the following:
a) A complete concerto of the applicant’s choice.
b) Violin - The first and any other movement of one of J. S. Bach’s solo sonatas or solo partitas.
Viola & Cello - The first and any other movement of one of J. S. Bach’s solo suites for cello.
Double Bass - Two contrasting movements from one of J. S. Bach’s solo suites for cello.
c) Violin, Viola & Cello - Two works of the applicant’s choosing; one from each of the 19th and 20th/21st centuries.
Double Bass - One work of the applicant’s choosing, in contrasting style to the selected Bach solo suites.
5. Applicants should ensure that the recording submitted is of the highest possible quality. Works are to be recorded in order (ie. concerto first) and listed with the title of the piece. Please do not put your name on the audio file.
6. QYO retains all broadcasting and recording rights for NYCC performances.
7. Applicants must supply via online application form:
a) Proof of Australian residency (copy of birth certificate or passport)
b) Resume and 150-word biography
c) High resolution image of applicant with their instument
d) Proposed recital program
e) $50.00 application fee. The preferred payment method is direct transfer to “Qld Youth Orchestras”, BSB 014 245, Acc. 4950 31908 with “NYCC” plus your surname in the comments field.
f) Audio recording as per conditions 4 & 5 above.
8. Applications must be received by 5pm Friday, 28 June 2019.
Apply online now.