The QYO Big Band has 19 positions available for jazz musicians. Conductor Bohdan Davison programs advanced instrumental and vocal big band charts. Planned performances in 2019 include a Concert at Twilight at the Old Museum Concert Hall, the QYO Finale Concert at QPAC, a performance at the Brisbane Jazz Club, other performances in South-east Queensland and a regional tour in July.
- 19 piece jazz band
- Standard & advanced big band repertoire
- Conductor: Bohdan Davison
- Rehearsals: Sundays 6.00pm-8.45pm at the Old Museum Building
- Min. AMEB Grade 6 (guide only)
- Maximum age limit as at 31 December 2019: 23 years
- Alto saxophone (2), tenor saxophone (2), baritone saxophone (1)
- Trumpet (4), trombone (3), bass trombone (1)
- Rhythm guitar (1), electric or double bass (1)
- Piano (1), vocalist (1)
- Drumkit (1), vibraphone (1)
Bohdan Davison is a proud alumnus of the QYO Big Band, from being lead alto saxophone in its second year of existence through to the band’s inaugural performance at QPAC at the 2003 QYO Finale concert.
It is with immense pride and joy that Bohdan is back to direct and oversee the band in 2018. With outstanding musicians and support staff, Bohdan cites his time with QYO as a big influence on his career. Bohdan has performed and toured with artists such as James Morrison, Tommy Tycho, Anthony Warlow, Pete Murray, Melinda Schneider, Bobby Shew and Ben Folds.
Bohdan currently oversees his own Big Band called Enthusiastic Musicians Orchestra (EMO), and is Head of Bands at Anglican Church Grammar School where he facilitates and inspires the careers of young musicians.