Queensland Youth Orchestra 2
QYO’s second symphony orchestra, QYO2, is conducted by Sergei V Korschmin and offers 90 positions to advanced and intermediate musicians. QYO2 will perform three concerts in the Concerts at Twilight series at the Old Museum Concert Hall and the QYO Finale Concert at QPAC with a focus on original works from the late 19th and 20th centuries and by contemporary composers. Throughout its history, QYO2 has toured and performed extensively in collaboration with regional and metropolitan youth orchestras throughout Queensland and Australia.
- 90-member symphony orchestra
- Standard advanced orchestral repertoire
- Conductor: Sergei V Korschmin (since 2002)
- Rehearsals: Saturdays 1.30pm-4.30pm at the Old Museum Building
- Sectional tutorials: selected Saturdays 1.30-3.30pm followed by rehearsal 4.00-5.00pm
- Weekend music camp: Luther Heights, Coolum - Friday 31 March to Sunday 2 February 2020
- Min. AMEB Grade 6 (guide only)
- Violin min. AMEB Grade 7; Flute and Clarinet: min. AMEB Grade 8 (guide only)
- Maximum age limit as at 31 December 2020: 23 years
- Violin 1 (18), violin 2 (18), viola (16), cello (14),
double bass (10)
- Flute (2), oboe (2), clarinet Bb & A (2), bassoon (2)
- French horn (5), trumpet (2), trombone (2), bass trombone (1), tuba (1)
- Timpani (1)
Sergei V Korschmin completed studies at the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory with a Bachelor of Music degree in Performance. Sergei’s conducting debut came at age seventeen, conducting Tchaikovsky’s 4th Symphony, with the Moscow Composer’s House Orchestra. In the same year he was the Conductor and Production Director of Tchaikovsky’s opera Eugene Onegin. Sergei later conducted a cycle of works by Beethoven.
As the recipient of the Internal Travel Fellowship from the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory, Sergei participated in music classes at the Conservatoire National de Musique de Paris (France); the Academy of Music, Weimar (Germany); the Southwest Texas University, (USA), and many master classes. Since moving to Australia, Sergei has lectured at several universities in Queensland. He has held the position of Artistic Director of the Mackay Youth Orchestra, and Artistic Director and Conductor of the Mackay Symphony Orchestra. Sergei is regularly invited both as a conductor and teacher, to tutor and direct vacation workshops and master classes.
Sergei has been guest conductor with the Queensland Youth Symphony and Western Australian Youth Orchestra and in 2003 he was appointed conductor of QYO2.
More information about Sergei on www.korschmin.com